Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Mini Reviews: NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette

NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette by Nathan W. Pyle Goodreads|Amazon

Standalone Comic/Graphic Novel

Published April 15, 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Source: Library Paperback

Bookologists Analysis: I sincerely loved this short little book about tips from large hometown.

Living in New York City for five years as a transplant from Ohio, illustrator and T-shirt designer Nathan Pyle was fascinated by the unique habits and unspoken customs New Yorkers follow to make life bearable in a city with 8 million people (and seemingly twice the number of tourists). Nathan decided to draw his favorite tips and etiquette lessons and post them on the internet, where his 12 original panels went viral immediately and became the basis for this hilarious illustrated book (check out the fully animated ebook, too!).

In NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette, Pyle reveals the secrets and unwritten rules for living in and visiting New York including the answers to such burning questions as, which cabs should I try to hail? What is a bodega? Which way is Uptown? Why are there so many doors in the sidewalk? How do I walk on an escalator? Do we need to be touching right now? Where should I inhale or exhale while passing sidewalk garbage? How long should I honk my horn? If New York were a game show, how would I win? What happens when I stand in the bike lane? Who should get the empty subway seats? How do I stay safe during a trash tornado? Each tip is a little story illustrated in simple black and white drawings.

Visitors and newcomers to New York will love it because the advice is smart, funny, and not condescending. New Yorkers will love it for its strategic and humorous approach to mastering the daily chaos of the city.

For me reading this book brought a lot “YES” shrieking moments; since I lived in New York when I was younger. This book was a short, cute book that was a quick read.  I was amused by the short little quirky suggestions that Nathan W. Pyle brought as a Midwestern transplant.


I managed to read the book all in one sitting. Some of the tips were a little obvious as they can be moved to any situation— simply they are manners for the metropolis. Maybe, someday we could all just write short little illustrated books about unique places we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment